Andrew G. Martin
Andrew G. Martin is an experienced attorney specializing in intellectual property, business and commercial law. Prior to joining the Loomis Law Firm, Mr. Martin served as in-house associate counsel at a global automotive supplier. He advised the corporation on intellectual property matters including patent prosecution, patentability, and infringement risk. He also worked with business directors to develop an IP development process and provide legal analysis on competitor IP portfolios. Additionally, he reviewed and drafted routine commercial agreements such as non-disclosure agreements, supply/purchase agreements, Joint-Development Agreements, and distributor agreements.
In law school. Mr. Martin worked as a Law Clerk at a distinguished Intellectual Property firm in Chicago drafting responses to Office Actions and conducting legal research. He also spent several months as an intern at a Chinese Intellectual Property Firm in Beijing.
Mr. Martin attended University of Illinois-Chicago John Marshall Law School where he earned a Master of Laws Certificate in Intellectual Property along with his Juris Doctor. In law school, Mr. Martin published “Dueling Interpretations: The Conflict Arising from PTAB’s Use of Broadest Reasonable Interpretation for Claim Construction” in the Review of Intellectual Property Law. He also participated in the Giles Rich Moot Court Competition where he placed 2nd regionally and was a national quarterfinalist. Mr. Martin served as Lead Articles Editor for the Review of Intellectual Property Law and was a Barrister for the Trial Advocacy Board. Mr. Martin holds a Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology with a Minor in Economics from Michigan State University.
Mr. Martin is admitted to practice in Michigan, Illinois, and the District of Columbia and is a member of the Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association (MIPLA). He has also been admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Mr. Martin grew up in the south end of Bay City, and now lives in Okemos with his wife and daughter.
- Intellectual Property
- Business & Corporate Law
- International Trade Law
- Tax Law
- Estate Planning and Probate Law
- Real Estate Law
- Health Care Law
- Member, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Michigan
- Member, State Bar of Illinois
- Member, District of Columbia Bar
Recognition & Public Service:
- “Dueling Interpretations: The Conflict Arising from PTAB’s Use of Broadest Reasonable Interpretation for Claim Construction” Review of Intellectual Property Law
- University of Illinois-Chicago College of Law, J.D., 2017
- University of Illinois-Chicago College of Law, Master of Laws Certificate in Intellectual Property (2017)
- Michigan State University, B.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology with Minor in Economics, 2014