Energy, Telecommunications & Public Utility Law
Since the firm was founded in 1953, it has maintained its status as one of the leading public utility law firms in the State of Michigan, and has built upon that expertise and experience to develop a strong background in all aspects of regulatory law. In recent years, the firm has been involved in all aspects of the transitioning of fully regulated monopoly electric, gas and telecommunications services to deregulated or partially deregulated services.
Energy, Telecommunications And Public Utility Group
The firm’s energy, telecommunications, and public utility attorneys represent clients in every phase of utility service, including electric, gas, steam, cable television, telecommunications (voice and data telecommunications), water, and pipeline services. The firm’s utility clients range from the largest combination gas and electric utility in Michigan to small rural electric and telephone cooperatives.
- Formation of utilities and holding companies, mergers and acquisitions
- Securing licenses, permits, certificates of public convenience and necessity, and negotiation of local franchises
- Financing including state and federal securities regulation
- Siting and environmental permitting
- Rate case and other administrative litigation
- Appellate litigation in state and federal courts
- Diversification into unregulated competitive utility services
- Legislative Advocacy