Oil, Gas, Energy & Natural Resources Law
Our firm represents a number of oil and gas producers operating within the State of Michigan. The firm is widely recognized for its expertise in oil and gas law, and has rendered legal services for the oil and gas industry for more than 30 years. Our presence in Lansing, Michigan, results in convenient access to all state regulatory agencies having jurisdiction over oil and gas operations.
The services we provide to oil and gas clients include:
- Administrative proceedings before the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, Supervisor of Wells, in connection with well spacing, production allowables, unitization, and compulsory pooling
- Administrative proceedings before the Michigan Public Service Commission in connection with natural gas proration and natural gas production allowables and gas transmission pipeline matters
- Representation before the Department of Natural Resources, Forest, Mineral, and Fire Management Division regarding State of Michigan issued oil and gas leases
- Oil and gas asset and corporate acquisitions and sales. Representation and advices in acquisition, due diligence and divestiture
- Natural gas storage and transportation advices and representation, including negotiation of rights of way, storage leases, transportation and storage contracts, and representation before the applicable state agencies and condemnation
- Title examination for exploration, division order and acquisition purposes, from prepared abstracts and from stand-up title searches of county courthouse records
- Environmental advices and representation
- Litigation relating to all oil, gas, and energy matters
- Contract negotiation and preparation including exploration agreements
- Area of mutual interest and joint operating agreements
- Tax issues pertaining to oil and gas properties including severance, Michigan Business, and ad valorem tax matters
- Advice and legal opinions on a wide variety of oil and gas leasing, operation, and production issues
- Advice regarding carbon dioxide sequestration in subsurface formations
- Advice regarding all aspects of development of wind energy
- Advice regarding investment in renewable energy projects
Two members of the firm’s Oil and Gas Practice Group, Mr. Neal and Mr. Green, have served as chairs of the State Bar of Michigan Committee on Oil and Gas Law. Firm attorneys frequently contribute articles to legal and trade publications and speak before industry groups. Mr. Neal was first selected for the 2001 edition of “Best Lawyers In America” in the practice area of oil, gas and natural resources law.
Firm attorneys practicing in the area of oil and gas law are members of the Michigan Oil & Gas Association; Michigan Association of Petroleum Landmen; the Michigan Basin of Geological Society; the Oil, Gas and Natural Resources Law and Real Property Law Sections of the State Bar of Michigan; and the Natural Resources, and Energy & Environmental Law Section of the American Bar Association.
The Firm also provides legal assistance to clients that are developing, financing or investing capital in renewable energy facilities, such as wind, solar, geothermal and biomass facilities. To realize the full potential of the available tax and financing products, the group assists clients in structuring operating entities, negotiating contracts with power purchasers, equipment installers, utility companies, purchasers of renewable energy certificates and providers of both installation and permanent financing. The Firm also provides advice and services to landowners negotiating wind leases.